Can Amalgam Fillings Make You Sick?

amalgam-silver-metal-fillings

elemental mercury releasedThere is a reason amalgam fillings are banned in many European countries, and why a natural dentist would avoid any use of amalgam in his or her dental practice.

Amalgam fillings, also deceptively called “silver fillings” (deceptive because they contain very little silver), are made up of over 50% mercury—a toxic heavy metal that can cause a number of adverse health effects. Mercury exposure can poison the body and cause serious health problems, especially neurological and mental/emotional problems.

One reason why amalgam is so dangerous is because over time, the high heat of chewing and the mechanical action of the tooth rubbing against adjacent teeth causes the release of mercury vapor (the same way your thermometer gives off mercury if you break it). If you have mercury fillings, the vaporized mercury is inhaled by you as well as everyone around you on a daily basis.

Mercury is four times as toxic as lead. One filling contains 50% mercury by weight! So what type of health effects does this toxic metal have on humans? Here are just a few examples of the symptoms of mercury poisoning:

  • Neurological disorders such as tremors, irritability, memory loss, fatigue, headache and ear pain on chewing
  • Allergies and sensitivities
  • Headache, insomnia, dizziness, digestive problems
  • Bladder disorders and kidney disease
  • Cancer of the mouth, lungs, kidneys, bladder and brain.

What are some steps you can take to avoid getting sick from mercury amalgam fillings?

allergic reactions with mercury poisoning symptomsThe most important step is to have them removed.

There are many biological dental offices that specialize in safe removal of amalgam fillings without damaging your teeth or jawbone. Then they replace them with composite fillings which are made out of resin, which mimics the look of natural tooth enamel. This provides a more biocompatible and aesthetically appealing alternative to the dental amalgam filling.

If you don’t have silver dental fillings, don’t get them!

Seek biocompatible options instead, like the above mentioned resin fillings. Here are some important differences between the two products:

Amalgam fillings:

  • Are biologically incompatible;
  • Have no naturally adhesive quality, meaning they must be forced or wedged into place—this can create microfractures in the tooth leading to further dental decay;
  • Expand and contract with temperature changes, causing further microfractures;
  • Give off an unnatural appearance that many people dislike (“metal mouth”).

Resin fillings:

  • Are biocompatible;
  • Are naturally adhesive, making for gentle application;
  • Do not expand and contract with temperature changes like dental amalgam fillings do;
  • Look and feel just like natural teeth.

Conclusion:

When it comes to dental fillings, you should choose resin over amalgam.

When it comes to amalgam fillings, there is no such thing as mercury-free or safe dental amalgam. Mercury-free fillings are the biocompatible (and often aesthetically preferred) option.

Elite Smiles – Mercury-Free Fillings & Safe Mercury Removal

american dental association

Elite Smiles offers mercury-free dental fillings and safe mercury removal. Our focus is on restoring your smile and health, and if that means removing your mercury fillings and replacing them with a safe alternative, then that’s what we’re prepared to do.

Get the care for dental decay you need that’s both biologically safe and aesthetically appealing. Give Elite Smiles a call at (480) 924-5577 or fill out the form below. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Contact Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest